Thursday, April 21, 2011

Communicate Damnit!

Communication is key...and its clear that we have forgotten that simple shit. It is the difference between sadness and happiness.   I look at my own situations, and those around me and its becoming more and more evident that we don't know how to communicate with our significant others.

First off: We need to realize that there is no such thing as mind reader.  Sorry if Ms. Cleo and the psychic friends have fucked your minds up...but it doesn't exist.  Think of how many times you've heard this bullshit "He/she should just know whats wrong with me, they should know what they did to upset me".  That's crazy.  How is someone supposed to know all of these things about you if you don't tell them. So you think that just because you two are together they know you inside out and better than yourself?  Get out of that childish, misleading ass fairytale. People only know, and are aware of, what you tell them.  We wonder why (myself included sometimes...we keep it real over here) we can't make shit work with anybody. The main problem is the lack of communication.  If you have a problem, issue, or even suggestion within your relationship you have to express these things with your significant other. I've always been told that a closed mouth does not get fed and I promise that old cliche holds true more and more everyday.

One of my readers, that goes by the name of "J" made an excellent suggestion.  One of my recent posts included a list of things that made me a fucked up partner.  He suggested that I share this list with the next person I chose to pursue a relationship with.  Honestly, it initially scared me.  I have an issue with being open with my feelings (que the violins...) especially with a love interest. But after the "fright" part of it simmered down, I realized that it made a lot of sense.  I mean, how can someone work with me through something if they don't know what the fuck they are working on.  Think of it like this: Your professor ends class by telling you about an exam and homework assignment but doesn't tell you on what material.  You'll be confused as a muhfucka, and there is no difference within a relationship.  How can someone you are interested in work with you if they don't know what they are working on.  I don't know if "J" intended for his comment to light this damn lightbulb in my head...but it did. Good looking out bruh.

(All of this reminds me of an old Xscape song -Understanding)

What I need from you is understanding,
How can we communicate,
If you don't hear what I say.
What I need from you is understanding,
So simple as 1-2-3,
Understanding is what we need.

2 comments:

  1. Glad I could help :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try so very hard
    To keep our love alive
    But you don’t wanna meet me half way
    Then the understanding dies

    #MyIsh!

    I agree with J. It's actually something that we can all do. I'm facing something right now that could very possibly go further than just an occasional fuck-session. Real talk, that last post helped a nigga re-evaluate some ish.

    --Cogito

    ReplyDelete